Sunday, March 13, 2011

Southern Cornbread Gluten Free

My Southern heritage is ingrained in my cooking, so when I was diagnosed with Celiac disease almost 20 years ago, I was depressed to say the least.  Although I was relieved to know that my health and well being could be restored with a change in diet, I was sincerely lost.  I spent so many years experimenting with prepared mixes, and frozen products, and also a LOT of money.  It's also taken just as many years to become comfortable with my cooking once again, and to trust myself to prepare gluten free meals that I enjoy, and meals that my family and guests can enjoy tool. So, here is the first of many recipes that I have learned over the years, I hope you enjoy it, and I hope it brings you comfort to know that you can eat gluten free and delicious food...no compromise here!

Southern Cornbread- Gluten Free
1/4 cup vegetable oil or shortening
2 cups white or yellow cornmeal (gluten free)
2 tablespoons flour (gluten free) or all purpose blend that you like
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder (gluten free)
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk or 8 tablespoons buttermilk powder and 2 cups water

1 egg

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pour oil 9or place shortening) into a cast iron skillet and put into oven as it is preheating.
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients and mix well.   Set aside.
 Combine water, buttermilk (if using dry buttermilk powder, just add water here, as dry powder will be combined in dry ingredients) and egg, Whisk to combine.

Pour wet ingredients into bowl containing dry ingredients and whisk to combine.  The mixture may be very thin if using Buttermilk powder, if real buttermilk is used, it will be consistency of cake batter

Remove skillet form oven and swirl oil inside pan (carefully) to coat sides of pan.
 Pour hot oil into batter, stirring constantly with whisk just until blended.

Pour batter into hot skillet and place into oven.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.  Remove and serve hot with  butter and/or honey.
YUM
This is how I like it...with my Grilled Chicken and Southern Style Green Beans & Potatoes

1 comment: