Sunday, March 27, 2011

Angel Cakes Bakery-Gluten Free Heavenly Goodies

I have been working on a little project for a year now, and finally can share it with all of you.  The Angel Cakes Bakery is now open on Etsy.  I've only listed one item for now, but have many more on the way, just baking away and taking pictures every day.
I have been gluten free for 20 years and have seriously missed cake, pies, cookies, brownies and all the goodies in between.  I learned to let go of the cravings for biscuits and gravy, hot rolls and butter, pizza....well you get the idea.  In the last few years, as the public has become much more aware of Celiac disease, gluten intolerance, and other food allergies, I started to wonder if the products available could be improved upon.  I have never been the type of person to accept mediocre, especially when it comes to food, and when the food is served to my guests, it has to be beyond good, it needs to be exceptional. 
I have baked for years, learning form my Grandma, Mom, Dad and many, many cookbooks.  I decided to attempt a gluten free cake that could fool anyone who ate it.  All of the gluten free cakes I had tried in the past were grainy and dry, wet and heavy, or tasted like cardboard.  Many mixes and recipes have been publicized and even some of the major players have put a few boxes on your grocery shelf.  They just left me with a bad taste in my mouth, literally.
So, I started testing recipes, flour combinations, techniques and timing.  Finally, one Saturday morning a few weeks ago, I pulled a cake out of the oven, let it cool a little, and pulled off a corner and popped it in my mouth.  The flavor of the vanilla bean was the first thing I noticed, then as it melted in my mouth, I was surprised to find that my mind went directly to my Grandma's kitchen.  The smell of cake filled the air and I couldn't wait to smear a big "gob" of frosting on the slice she would cut from the top to level the cake.  She called this a "twinkie".  I called it heaven with a glass of milk. 
Back in my own kitchen I stacked my luscious gluten free layers, filled them with vanilla bean butter cream, layered them with strawberries and piled on a mountain of her special "angel frosting".   Last touch was piping on a few simple swirls of pink butter cream and some cute little fondant drops.  And so, Angel Cakes Bakery was born. 




I carried the cake with me to a function the next morning and served 25 people.  I waited silently for the reviews.  My husband came to tell me later that afternoon that no one could stop talking about how delicious the cake was.  And no one knew...it was gluten free.  I thought I would explode.  Life as I knew it was about to change.  No longer would I ever accept the bland, dry, heavy baked junk that I have eaten for the last 20 years. 
Next up, the most indulgent Double Chocolate cake I've ever tasted.  I perfected it tonight, and will post the pictures this week. 

Have a sweet night.

No comments:

Post a Comment