Tuesday, April 19, 2011

One Hundred Flowers+ Georgia O'Keeffe

I was browsing through the local bookstore a few weeks ago and spotted this huge flower on the cover of a rather large book.  I was in love the moment I opened the pages.  I just wanted to reach in and pick every one.

From the book:
When Georgia O'Keeffe died in 1986, at the age of 98, she left behind a monumental creative achievement.  Among her most remarkable and acclaimed works was an extended series of paintings on the subject of flowers.  No one in the history of Western art has painted flowers as she did.  Startling in their sensuality, these images constituted a new language through which O'Keeffe expressed profound emotions.  In this book are one hundred of her masterpieces brought together from private collections and leading museums. A stunning celebration of a great American Artist.

I will be photographing and sharing the glorious pages from this book every week for the next one hundred weeks.  The images touch me and fill me with happiness, and I am so grateful to have found them.  I hope you enjoy them just as much




 "A flower is relatively small. Everyone has many associations with a flower-the ideas of flowers.  You put out your hand to touch the flower-lean forward to smell it-maybe touch it with your lips almost without thinking-or give it to someone to please them.  Still, in a way-nobody sees a flower-really-it is so small-we haven't time.  If I could paint the flower exactly as I see it no one would see what I see because I would paint it small like the flower is small.  So I said to myself-I'll paint what I see-what the flower is to me, but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it-"
                                                                            Georgia O'Keeffe, "About Myself" 1939

No comments:

Post a Comment